The Three Contributing Factors To Your Willpower
Are you tired of your lack of willpower?
This talk is part 1 of 2 by the one and only Dave Asprey of Bulletproof Coffee and host of Bulletproof Radio. Dave is a New York Times best-selling author and has spent over two decades on hacking his own biology to help him learn seemingly impossible things to transform himself into the success he is today. He has singlehandedly transformed the diets (and waistlines) of thousands of people around the world — not to mention, manage to hack his own biology to become Bulletproof.
In this episode, he breaks down the three things that are affecting a fundamental contributor to our successes and failures; Our willpower. Like most people, willpower is something that causes a lot of energy drain and something we wish we can conjure at any given moment. He’s here to help you understand the core causes of why it feels difficult to control it.
The biggest leak of willpower is applying your precious effort to things that are automated and urges from an untrained animal that’s thrashing inside your body— Dave Asprey
Highlights from the talk:
- Dave shares a story of his success and failures with willpower in his twenties
- He explains the origins of willpower and the analogies to start hacking it
- He shares the effects of the first “F” word of willpower on our abilities and general physiology
- Our reactions and decision-making process is affected by something he calls, “The Labrador Brain”
- Dave explains how the second “F” word of willpower is easily hackable once you understand the “why” behind your mental chatter
- Getting to the root of energy drain, he explains how there exists a difference of speed within your body and mind
- Dave get’s real with the third “F” word and how it responds to our basic instinct for humanity’s survival
- Concluding part 1, Dave drops a challenge to all of us with an exercise we can begin practicing today
People and resources mentioned in the episode:
- Vishen Lakhiani
- 40 Years of Zen
If you enjoyed this episode, we have another we’d recommend you on understanding your state of being. Listen to this talk:
For more reading materials, we’d recommend the following articles:
- Biohacker Dave Asprey’s Top 5 Tips On How To Work Smarter And Think Smarter
- 5 Tools To Conquer Procrastination & Strengthen Your Willpower By Robin Sharma
- Philosophers Say Self Control Is The Essence Of A Successful Life
Here’s a powerful quote by Dave for you to ponder on,
If you don’t have enough basic energy in your body, you will not have the willpower that you were meant to have— Dave Asprey
If the ideas in this episode resonated with you, consider joining our Tribe and get access to more amazing content from brilliant thinkers and game-changers from around the world.
What was your main takeaway from Dave’s talk?
Which of the three “F” words do you find affecting you most?
Share your thoughts in the comments section below.