The key to a great mentor is being as curious as you are wise.
Chip Conley, founder of Joie de Vivre Hospitality and former AirBnB’s Head of Global Hospitality & Strategy, shares the 4 step process on how to become a remarkable mentor that will create a meaningful impact in not only your organization, but in every aspect of your life.
From his decades of experience in the management industry, Chip shares the number one quality of top managers and what it means to be a modern elder. He explains why mentorship is critical for the growth of any organization, and how we can capitalize on this — both as a mentor and a mentee.
Mentorship is one of the most effective forms of learning and development in an organization today.
— Chip Conley
In this episode you’ll discover:
- Why being a mentor has nothing to do with age
- The #1 quality of top managers (as researched from Google)
- Why Millenials with a mentor are twice as likely to stay in a company than those without
- The #1 question HR leaders should be asking in their employee satisfaction survey
- The modern elder vs. the traditional elder (and which one we want to be)
- Why the key to being a remarkable elder is listening (not feeding wisdom)
- Why it’s critical to gather context —through listening— as a mentor first
- What appreciative inquiry is and the best way to provide counsel to someone
- Why it’s critical to develop a trusting relationship with our mentee and show them we want them to succeed
- The best way to approach someone you’re looking for mentorship from
- The 2 kinds of mentor-mentee relationships and how to determine which is the best fit for you
- How to scale wisdom in your company and what Chip learned from being the top strategist working with AirBnB
The future of organizations is not purely in mentorship, it’s in mutual mentorship.
Ready to learn how you can find a remarkable mentor (and become one yourself)? Don’t miss listening to Chip explain how you can scale wisdom and transform your organization today.
At Mindvalley, we believe in getting the world’s best teachers to support you in your transformational growth. We’ve built Mindvalley Mentoring as the platform where you’ll learn the science of becoming extraordinary. Try Mindvalley Mentoring for FREE.
We’ve also created Mindvalley Mentoring for Business which focuses on developing the necessary skills for creating a culture of performance, happiness, engagement, and growth. And we’ve built it for teams of any size. Learn more at here.
Resources and Mentions:
- Modern Elder
- Emotional Equation: Simple Truths for Creating Success + Happiness by Chip Conley
- Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow by Chip Conley
- Wisdom at Work: The Making of the Modern Elder by Chip Conley
- Brian Chesky
- Gavin Newsom
- Marianne Goodell
- Jimi Hendrix
- Appreciative Inquiry
- AirBnB’s Chip Conely and Brian Chesky: Modern Elders and Millennials at Work
Connect with Chip:
Inspired? Here are a few related articles you’ll enjoy!
- 6 Of The Most Important Social Skills For Personal Success
- 5 Daily Rituals From Vishen Lakhiani To Be The Best You Can Be Every Day
Did you have an a-ha moment while listening to the interview?
Let us know in your review!